Join Our World-Class Team
We employ problem solvers.
We have one of the bioplastic industry’s leading product development teams, with strong expertise in every aspect of PHA polymer development.
Our PHA product development team is located in Edmonton, Alberta. This is where all of the action takes place for lab-scale production and testing of our biopolymers and bioplastic products. We have a marine biomaterials development team located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions.
Biopolymer Development Scientist
TerraVerdae Bioworks is seeking a Biopolymer Development Scientist, with a strong background in chemistry, formulation and processing of biopolymers, to develop PHA-based biomaterials. We are seeking a team player with exceptional creativity, a broad knowledge base and the ability to quickly integrate deep subject matter and scientific knowledge across many aspects of bioplastic applications; including films, adhesive and coatings technologies.
This position will be responsible for providing technical leadership and direction and will be a key member of our team in product development, from initial applications development through process optimization of biomaterial production and commercial scale-up.
The ideal candidate will be required to work effectively with the broader global team in a highly interdisciplinary environment that includes external collaborators, customers and other stakeholders with the same desire to bring leading novel sustainable products to market.
The candidate should be energetic, team-focused and one who thrives in an intellectually rewarding, collaborative and science-driven environment. Suitable candidates are open-minded towards unexpected and new possibilities and should embrace the core values of safety, respect for others, and ethical behavior.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Polymer Science or Polymer Chemistry with 3-5 years of related experience, or a M.Sc. in Polymer Science or Polymer Chemistry with 3-5 years of industrial experience
- Track record of innovation and/or peer-reviewed publications
- Experience in biopolymer synthesis, formulation and characterization
- Experience in polymer extrusion and rheology of biopolymeric materials would be an asset
- Familiarity with reactive extrusion and micro-compounding processes
- Demonstrated creativity, collaborative and energetic attitude
- Demonstrate project management capabilities
- Ability to work independently and in a cross-functional team environment
- Effective communication, interpersonal and technical writing skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Develop PHA bioplastic prototypes and products
- Develop stage-appropriate biopolymer manufacturing processes
- Develop and execute work plans
- Participate in and/or lead external collaborations with stakeholder
- Contribute to development of projects milestones, timelines, and product deliverables
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders
- Work with our team to help market-relevant biopolymer development and applications of our early-stage projects
Senior Bioprocess Scientist
TerraVerdae Bioworks is seeking a Senior Bioprocess Scientist with a strong background in microbiology, microbial physiology, fermentation and downstream processing for the production of biomaterials and biobased chemicals.
The candidate will be a key member of a dynamic team focused on development, optimization and commercial scale-up of microbial bioproduction processes and will work closely with a broader global team including biology and chemistry researchers, downstream chemists and engineers, and external collaborators.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate scientific leadership, strong technical aptitude, and capabilities to prioritize and effectively multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Other attributes include the ability to analyse and develop creative solutions to challenging problems while embracing core values of safety, respect for others, and ethical behavior.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- PhD in biological sciences, biochemistry, biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, microbiology or related discipline
- 5-10 years of experience with fermentation processes optimization and scale-up/scale-down
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience in an industrial bioprocessing environment
- Strong background in microbial culturing techniques with a deep understanding of microbial metabolism for a range of processes
- Experience in the design and optimization of industrial microbial processes, including reactor design, reaction kinetics, material and energy balances, data and process modelling, and process variable and feedstock studies
- Experience with state-of-the-art analytical techniques necessary for on-line and off-line monitoring of fermentation performance
- Experience in rational and statistical design of experiments related to fermentation optimization and process improvement
- Strong project management, organization, facilitation, problem solving, and quantitative analysis skills are essential along with the ability to plan projects effectively, set goals, manage several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to prepare project reports, technical papers for publication and presentation, and draft proposals in response to RFPs, grants, etc, as well as understand and document heterogeneous data and communicate effectively
The Senior Bioprocess Scientist will:
- lead fermentation group
- have responsibility for developing, evaluating and/or optimizing technologies, processes, methodologies and strains for microbial production of biomaterials and bio-based chemicals
- apply the latest knowledge of microbial physiology, including pathway analysis to improve process performance of an industrial bioprocess
- set up, operation, and maintenance of bioreactors ranging from bench scale to 1000+ L
- monitor processes to ensure consistency and reliability
- work with external collaborators and fermentation facilities